Outside the club stands an ornate Victorian lamppost, which has a trapdoor that during the Cold War was used by the Soviet embassy as a dead letter drop. A chalk mark on the lamppost base would indicate a delivery. Intriguingly, whilst KGB spies were lurking on the doorstep of the club, next-door at No 3 Cubby Broccoli was busy casting unknown actor Sean Connery to play the part of a spy called James Bond in his new film ‘Dr No’.
- The University Women’s Club makes an appearance of Strictly Come Dancing
- UWC Book Club: Reading List for Spring/Summer 2019
- This week at the Club wc 11th February 2019
- Book Club – The Invention of Nature
- Very proud to announce that Ann Hallam has won Community Awards of Mayfair and St James’s 2019 – Putting Something Back